National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM) is a time to celebrate the many and varied contributions of America’s workers with disabilities.
This year’s NDEAM theme is “Disability: Part of the Equity Equation!” This year’s campaign aims to promote access and inclusion for people with disabilities in the workplace.
Here are some ways you can participate in NDEAM:
1. Learn about the history of NDEAM and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
2. Participate in events and activities organized by your local disability community
3. Spread the word on social media using the hashtag #NDEAM
4. Educate your friends, family, and co-workers about the importance of inclusion and accessibility for people with disabilities
5. Advocate for inclusive policies and practices in your workplace, school, or community (laws, hiring practices, educational curriculum, etc.)
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) is a law that prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities in all areas of public life, including jobs, schools, transportation, and all public and private places that are open to the general public.
The Rehabilitation Act is a federal law that protects the rights of people with disabilities in programs and activities that receive federal financial assistance.
There are also state and local laws that protect people with disabilities.
Employers should consider making their recruitment efforts more inclusive of people with disabilities. They can do this by:
- Advertising job openings in a variety of locations
- Using social media
- Working with community organizations that serve people with disabilities
- Participating in job fairs specifically for people with disabilities
- Hosting information sessions about their organization’s inclusion of people with disabilities.
Employers should also ensure their application process is accessible to people with disabilities. This means providing alternate formats (such as large print or Braille) and allowing individuals to request accommodations.
Making the site WCAG compliant is a good start here, but consider those without access to pricey software and equipment (e.g., screen readers). Know your audience and ensure accessibility for everyone.
How Can I Get Involved in NDEAM?
There are many ways to get involved in NDEAM. Here are some ideas:
- Attend or participate in an NDEAM event
- Host an NDEAM event
- Share your story about inclusion in the workplace
- Use the NDEAM social media toolkit to help raise awareness
- Pledge to create an inclusive workplace
Get A Free Consultation
Uncertainty may make legal action seem difficult. You can count on Holder Susan Slusher, LLC. Contact us at 573-499-1700.